We Need Writers!
Writers Unite! Write for the next Facing Project: FACING DEPRESSION. We’re excited to tell you about a local storytelling project, Facing Depression, which is a collaboration between Ball State University and the Facing Project. It is our hope to start a dialogue around depression—an issue that touches so many lives in our community, yet is often not discussed.
And that discussion can’t happen without writers willing to volunteer their time and talents.
Here’s how it works:
- You’ll be matched with a storyteller. Storytellers may be an individual who is currently facing depression or who has faced depression in the past, family members of those facing depression, and professional caregivers, therapists, and doctors who help those with depression.
- You’ll meet with them face-to-face to have a conversation where you’ll learn their story. This will probably take an hour or two.
- You will then write the story as if you are them (in the first person) trying to capture their voice. Think of this as a monologue.
- Next you’ll give your story to the storyteller who will suggest changes. The story doesn’t get published without their final approval.
- After you work with the project editors, your story will be published in a book to be shared across East Central Indiana to give voice to those facing depression. The book will also include a list of resources and next steps for those with depression.
- An event and book launch will be held in Muncie. Some of the stories will be read as monologues. (Audiences of 300-500 typically attend)
- That’s it! The stories live on in the books and on the Internet educating and inspiring those who read them.
The Facing Project is a community storytelling project founded in Muncie by author Kelsey Timmerman and Ball State English alum J.R. Jamison, and has spread across the country. This is the 4th Muncie project. You can learn more about the Facing Project at www.facingproject.com
If you’re interested in writing, sharing your own story, or have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Facing Project, co-founder, Kelsey Timmerman at 937-423-3517.
Adam J. Kuban
Ball State University
Department of Journalism
Kelsey Timmerman & J.R. Jamison
Facing Project, co-founders